From: Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @ plaidworks . com>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 10:11:15 -0700
To: "William Silvert" <wsilvert @ ipimar . pt>
Cc: Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @ plaidworks . com>, "list-managers" <list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM>

On Friday, May 18, 2001, at 07:37 AM, William Silvert wrote:

I recently rejoined this list after an absence of several years because of my growing frustration with the problems caused by spam filters. I run about a dozen mailing lists in different sites, based on Majordomo, Listserv and Listproc, and find that I am wasting more and more time dealing with message
rejection by automatic spam filters set up by hyperactive system
administrators. I would like to initiate a discussion to see how widespread
the problem is and if there is any way to deal with it.

Fairly widespread. Right now, for instance, I'm seeing a lot of stuff bounced if it has the word "homepage" in it, which is (IMHO) ludicrous. I realize that virus is nasty, but simplistic 'fixes' like that don't fix the problem.

To be blunt about it, there's not a lot you can do. Writing admins to poke at them is usually fruitless. When a given site gets too annoying, I simply unsubscribe the user, send them a private note explaining why, suggesting THEY poke at their admin to get their act together, and ask them not to resubscribe until their site's fixed.

Not a great answer, but I don't think there are great answers here.

(putting on my other hat for a second, though, since I run mail lists that are fairly widely subscribed to, I can usually tell when a virus hits the net, and right now, there are at least three running pretty rampant out there. For most of the last ten days or so, when I check the postmaster mail on my big server machine, about 40% of the mail sent to that machine has been sent by one of those three viruses attempting to propogate. I've *never* seen the net with such agressive and virulent beasts that have this level of penetration. When I'm seeing 50 or more of these a day, I can understand why network admins are getting a little freaky about trying to shut them down -- I just think many of them are going about it sideways, but then, not all network admins have the experience some of us have; worse, many are stuck with things like Exchange or NOtes or other badly written mail systems, and have their hands tied up front...)

[<chuqui @
plaidworks .
com> = <me @
chuqui .
com> = <chuq @
apple .
com>]

"When his IQ reaches 50, he should sell."