Subject: Re: autoresponders and vacation notices (was: senate.gov problem)
From: Russ Allbery <rra @ stanford . edu>
Date: 08 May 2001 06:09:27 -0700
To: List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM

Nick Simicich <njs @
 scifi .
 squawk .
 com> writes:

> Now, I don't *really* think that DSN or MDN applies to vacation notices.
> But Vacation notices are closer to DSN than to MDN since they may be
> sent unsolicited, and I think that, in the absense of other guidance,
> they should be sent to the transport envelope address and not the from
> or reply-to address.

This is frequently debated.  As a matter of practicality, you'll be much
more successful in getting the autoresponse to be actually *seen* by
someone if you send it to the From/Reply-To address; the level of breakage
of envelope sender addresses is depressing.

This, of course, means that you had better make *very* sure that your
algorithm won't send responses to mailing lists.  If you send to envelope
senders, that can cover up a multitude of sins in your heuristics; sending
directly to the From/Reply-To address is less forgiving.

--
Russ Allbery (rra @
 stanford .