From: "John R Levine" <johnl @ iecc . com>
Date: 7 May 2001 00:57:15 -0400
To: "Jessica Callender" <JessicaCallender @ worldnet . att . net>
Cc: "List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM" <List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM>

> A couple of questions.
> Is there such a thing as isp-lists.com ?

Sure.  He runs a bunch of mailing lists for people who own and operate
ISPs, which I don't think is what you're looking for.

> Are there professional e-marketers to reach:
> 1. muncipal and state government people, i.e. MIS administrators and grant
> development officers
> 2. college and university administrators

I doubt it.  The people I know in municipal governments (quite a few,
actually, since I'm on my local elected village board) don't strike me as
likely to sign up for advertising mailing lists, nor do any of the college
administrators I know.  I am the closest thing to a grant development
officer or MIS admin in my village, and I wouldn't know where to sign up
for such lists even if I wanted to, which I don't.

As others have suggested, if you want to contact them, use the phone or
postal mail, or advertise in magazines that such people read.  (I get a
couple of magazines for municipal officials in New York state, and they're
full of ads for computer services and software for governments.)

> Do you think [internet.com] are professional-reputable?
>
> Do you think that using their resources will get a positive response or
> would be alienating?  Any experience with??
> > http://www.internet.com/mediakit/

Internet.com is Mecklermedia.  They're a real company and not unduly
sleazy, but again, they're mostly in the Internet market and I'd be
surprised if they had anything related to either of the areas you want.

Regards,
John Levine, johnl @
 iecc .
 com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",
Finger for PGP key, f'print = 3A 5B D0 3F D9 A0 6A A4  2D AC 1E 9E A6 36 A3 47