From: Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @ plaidworks . com>
Date: Sat, 05 May 2001 16:19:46 -0700
To: "David W. Tamkin" <dattier @ ripco . com>, <list-managers @ greatcircle . com>

On 5/5/01 2:41 PM, "David W. Tamkin" <dattier @
 ripco .
 com> wrote:

> | Supposedly there are places where one can opt-in to receive "targeted
> | spam", ...
>
> I use several services that charge not in cash but in my accepting occasional
> pieces of mail consisting of advertising for companies who pay them to be
> included.

Point of terminology -- if you opt in, you're saying you want it. If you say
you want it, it's not spam. "targeted spam" is a bad phrase. All e-marketing

is not spam, just as all spam isn't e-marketing (there's religious spam,
there's porn spam, etc..)

You will never solve the spam problem as long as the defintion of spam is
"what I feel like calling spam" -- if you can't agree on what it is, you
can't build standards, and from standards build controls.