From: JC Dill <inet-list @ vo . cnchost . com>
Date: Sat, 05 May 2001 12:30:55 -0700
To: "Jessica Callender" <JessicaCallender @ worldnet . att . net>, <List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM>

On 06:16 PM 5/3/01, Jessica Callender wrote:
>Hi All--
>All this discussion about the 'largest' mailing lists and being ethical and
>all --
>I need to find  rental or free mailing lists for e-marketing
>
>Where can I find these services.
>
>I need to reach professional development officers in colleges and
>universities and nonprofits, school technology coordinators, municipal MIS
>directors and some other groups.
>
>Know of any professional list renters?

As you have seen by the discussion, there really aren't any list renters that do what you want. There are damn few people who really opt-in to receive commercial email from parties other than the *exact* party they subscribe with. For instance, people who opt-in to receive marketing material from Cisco do NOT want to receive marketing material from other firms, so Cisco can't rent/sell that list without getting tons of complaints and smearing their own image with their own customers. Supposedly there are places where one can opt-in to receive "targeted spam", but I have yet to hear of a single person who has voluntarily signed up for such services who is happy and continues to receive highly targeted and relevant promotional email. What happens is that they get indiscriminately spammed, and hate it. You don't want your email sent in that fashion because it does NOT get you the response you are seeking.

However, there are some solutions!

There are many ad-supported opt-in discussion lists, and some of those services might be able to put your ad (as a header or footer on list discussion email) on targeted opt-in discussion lists that have subscribers that include some of the people you are trying to reach.

For instance, if you are trying to reach Internet professionals, you can have your ad appear on the ad-supported lists hosted at isp-lists.com (and a banner ad on the web archive pages of those lists), see the details at:

	http://www.internet.com/mediakit/

Many of the egroups/yahoo groups lists are ad-supported. If there's an ad-supported opt-in discussion list there that would have some your target group as subscribers, you might be able to place ads JUST on those lists (targeted advertising) by contacting Yahoo:

	http://docs.yahoo.com/info/advertising/

etc.

HTH

jc