Subject: Re: autoresponders and vacation notices (was: senate.gov problem)
From: Tim Pierce <twp @ rootsweb . com>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2001 17:48:08 -0400
To: James M Galvin <galvin @ acm . org>
Cc: Nick Simicich <njs @ scifi . squawk . com>, List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM

On Fri, May 04, 2001 at 10:14:20AM -0400, James M Galvin wrote:

> My preference has always been that vacation notices and autoresponders
> are not subject to RFC2298, which would mean that Sharon system's is
> just fine.  What I would like to see is a Standard that says vacation
> notices and autoreponders reply to the message REPLY-TO or FROM header
> but (and this is a very BIG BUT) only if the recipient is actually
> listed in the message TO or CC header.

That's not a bad idea.  The Berkeley `vacation' algorithm seems to
have held up pretty well over the years: send an autoreply only if
  (a) the recipient is personally listed in the `To' or `Cc' headers;
  (b) the mail does not have a `Precedence' of `list', `bulk' or
`junk'; and
  (c) it doesn't come from an address that is likely to
be a daemon, such as `mailer-daemon', `postmaster', `owner-' and
`-request' addresses.

I would not mind seeing those requirements codified in the next
revision of the DSN standard.