Subject: Re: AOL Terms -- Revealed
From: Norbert Bollow <nb @ thinkcoach . com>
Date: Tue, 1 May 2001 09:11:19 +0200
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

> I do not like to see them drop messages anyway. There are ways to
> handle this. Since their system is so sophisticated, they could add
> code to bounce the first 500 and drop the rest of the bounces. On the
> 500th bounce, they could return a message to the postmaster of the
> site to indicate that messages were being lost due to excessive
> bounces. But silently dropping messages is wrong. -Chuck-

Yes.  All automatically-generated messages should be
rate-limited, and there needs to be notification when the
rate-limiting kicks in.  For each type of message, I think one
should have two limits: a per-recipient-mailbox limit and a
(much higher) per-recipent-domain-limit.  This in an important
principle for everyone who implements an email robot, not just
for AOL.

Greetings, Norbert.

Tel +41 1 972 20 59       Fax +41 1 972 20 69        nb @
 thinkcoach .
 com
> Currently recruiting:  Perl programmers  and  JSP (JavaServer Pages)
> programmers for the "Traffic Building Bulletin Board System" project
> at FreeDevelopers.Net    ------------------>    See http://tbbbs.org

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: we aren't the enemy, but it's hard to prove it