Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(January 2001)

Subject: Re: list to news gateway.
From: J C Lawrence <claw @ kanga . nu>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 10:57:14 -0800
To: Dave Sill <de5-list-managers @ sws5 . ctd . ornl . gov>
Cc: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

On Thu, 25 Jan 2001 09:53:26 -0500
Dave Sill <de5-list-managers @
 sws5 .
 ctd .
 ornl .
 gov> wrote:

> "Bos, P.G.J. - SPLXM" <Piet .
 Bos @
 klm .
 com> wrote:
>> Is ther a simple and efficient mail(list) to news gateway.  We
>> have a newsserver (innd) running on a linux box and a Majordomo
>> listserver on a RS6000 both machines are situated in our
>> Intranet.  I want postings to some lists to be automatically send
>> as news to certain newsgroups or the other way around.
>>
>> Are ther solutions for this, not so big, problem?

> Newsgate, available from:

>   ftp://ftp.isc.org/isc/inn/contrib/newsgate.tar.Z

There are also MLM's with built-in news gating support (eg Mailman).

> BTW, it's not such a small problem, either. There are some simple
> traps in setting up gateways with spectacular failure
> modes. Newsgate is good for avoiding those pitfalls.

There are also a painful class of potential problem which may arise
if your export the gated newsgroup to other news servers than the
one gated to/from, such as having a remote server dump and
re-broadcast their entire store due to a reindex, resulting in yout
news-<mail gate importing this broadcast back-history onto your
list.  Without very good control on your news network, this can be
an uncomfortably common occurance (ie its happened to me at least 5
times that I can recall) -- its not fun seeing and entire year's
worth of traffic replayed onto your list over the space of some
minutes.

--
J C Lawrence                                       claw @
 kanga .