Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(January 2001)

Subject: Gateway content-snoop "warning" silliness?
From: Tom Neff <tneff @ panix . com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 13:21:35 -0500
To: List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM

I'm starting to get one of these with every Digest sent out for one of my lists, which has a member @gateway.com.

My questions are:
(a) is it appropriate for them to be emitting these out for Digests that arrive with "Precedence: bulk"?
(b) What happens if everybody starts doing this?

I didn't message Gateway's postmaster, btw, because I don't want them collaring some poor shlub in Accounts Receivable and demanding to know why she/he is using company computers to read a non-work related Digest. This is its own meta-problem for many of us, I suspect.

[uninteresting headers removed]
From: IT-Security @
Gateway .
Com
To: owner-coney-catchers @
lists .
ZZZZ .
com
Subject: RE: Coney-Catchers Digest V4 #303

Hello owner-coney-catchers @
lists .
ZZZZ .
com

This message is an automated, computer-generated response from Gateway's
email scanning system.

Gateway is scanning and logging all Internet email for viruses and
content.   Your message may have contained inappropriate content which
triggered the content scanner.  Please review the message.  Your message
with the subject Coney-Catchers Digest V4 #303 has been sent and WILL BE
DELIVERED normally.  The software used by Gateway to conduct scans on
email, searches for words and phrases.  It cannot determine the context
of the words and phrases.  Microsoft Office products and  some
MIME-attached files can generate strings of letters forming some of the
same words and phrases the automated scanner is looking for.  This may
have caused a false positive response for your email. If this is the
cause, we apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.   Again,
your email was delivered normally, and was not delayed in any way by
content scanning.

Follow-Ups:
Indexed By Date Previous: Postmaster survey fixed