Subject: Re: Confirmation Required
From: "Bernie Cosell" <bernie @ fantasyfarm . com>
Date: Fri, 5 May 2000 23:12:12 -0400
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

On 5 May 2000, at 14:39, Chuq Von Rospach wrote:

> The biggest problem I have on my lists today are people who refuse to
> read the instructions. How do you teach THEM?

I don't understand, quite.  I think there's a problem of "audience" here.
You, I guess, have to administer lists for which membership is required,
either because they're paying you to let them on your list or there's
some political reason that they can't be excluded or something like that.

OTOH, I'm hard pressed to think of a single mailing list among all that
I've been involved with over the years for which a suitable answer to
your rhetorical question wouldn't be "try once, then to hell with them".
So you're not allowed to join the Quake-mod-implementers mailing list
because you won't learn/obey the rules... what's the problem?  [I do the
same on the newsgroup I moderate: I don't 'approve' things that don't fit
the rules... if a particular author gets all huffy and won't re-do the
submission to fit within the charter's guidelines, I don't even give it a
thought: adios, amigo, enjoy the un-moderated sister newsgroup]

Why do you act like admitting single subscribers to a list is some sort
of entitlement you have to bend over backwards to honor?  Is there
something special about the lists you administer?

  /bernie\
mailto:bernie @
 fantasyfarm .
 com     Pearisburg, VA