Subject: Re: Confirmation Required
From: mcb @ postmodern . com (Michael C. Berch)
Date: Fri, 5 May 2000 15:10:11 +0000
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

Chuq writes:
> The biggest problem I have on my lists today are people who refuse to
> read the instructions. How do you teach THEM?

You don't.  I consider it a self-executing bozo filter.  If someone is
1) unable to follow simply-worded instructions; 2) unable to comply
with the concept of mailing back a confirmation token, or clicking on
a confirmation link; 3) unable to handle the common everyday concepts
and actions of reading and sending e-mail ... my lists are better off
without them.

My experience shows that this group is highly correlated with the
group of people who post drivel, chain letters, Net hoaxes, etc.,
or have misconfigured vacation programs, or post everything as HTML
or rich text or try to send through encoded binaries or graphics.

I get a lot of Majordomo "please approve" requests for people who sent
the message

	subscribe <listname> your-email-address

to Majordomo.  If they don't understand the level of abstraction
(which is explained in the following line in the help message) that
causes "your-email-address" to be replaced by an actual e-mail address,
they're unlikely to be a valuable contributor to the list.  So I don't
do it manually or even send a further help message.  If they're
interested, and figure it out later, they'll come back.

Some lists have business or other purposes that make this unacceptable,
but for the type of hobbyist, fan, and other recreationsl lists I
run, it seems the best policy.

--
Michael C. Berch
mcb @