Subject: Re: Is this possible?
From: Sam Smith <sams @ compsoc . man . ac . uk>
Date: Sat, 15 May 1999 19:25:37 +0100 (GMT)
To: Mally <nemesis @ paralynx . com>
Cc: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

On Fri, 14 May 1999, Mally wrote:
> <deep breath, here goes....>  Is there a command in the config file
> that can be used to prevent an individual subscriber from receiving
> posts from a list without actually unsubscribing them?  Just plain
> unsubscribing them, which is what I'd love to be able to do, isn't
> possible without causing all kinds of uproar.  (Looong story - I won't
> take up your time up explaining.)

I don't think so.

If you can find someone with write permissions on the file
(which will depend on your server), you can get that person
unsubscribed by removing their entry in the file -- this
is good for totally bypassing MD to unsubscribe someone. I
have done it, although you should make sure you have got a
backup of the addresses in case something goes wrong while
doing it.

Alternatively, if you have a problem with this person
posting to your list (you don't care if they read stuff as
long as they can't post), then you could add their email
address as a taboo header or similar, which would prevent
them posting.

But stoppping someone receiving the mail isn't possible
(unless you intercept the email to them at the MTA, which
would be a little extreme, and you would be better asking on
a MTA list about that).

HTH

Cheers
Sam

--
  Sam Smith

  "All mistakes are mine, I'm sure you'll find them"