From: "David W. Tamkin" <dattier @ Mcs . Net>
Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 18:53:58 -0500 (CDT)
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

Murr Rhame wrote,

| You have no way of knowing if the email you got was
| in fact from the author's representative.  Could be a forgery.

Yes, it was interesting that the check was to be made payable to the law
firm, not to the author.

As several people have said, service by email has no standing.

In Jeff's position, after deleting the poem from my site (and any references
and links to it on other pages on my site), I'd be sorely tempted to write
back to the lawyers claiming no such thing was on my site and that someone
must have misinformed them.  (If it turns out that their cached copies of
pages from my site include the poem, I'd say they edited it into them.)
Not sure whether I'd go ahead and do that.  More likely I'd delete it, read
the riot act to whoever had posted it, and not respond to the attorneys.