From: Mike Nolan <nolan @ celery . tssi . com>
Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 01:29:57 -0500 (CDT)
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . com (List Managers)

Jeff Wasilko wrote:

> Do mailing list archives have any protection against being held
> liable for copyright infringement?

None that I've ever been told about, but neither do they bear any
extra responsibilities.

Assuming this isn't a hoax or scam, I think that the EFF might be
interested in your situation, and possibly the ACLU as well.

As far as I know, the issues have not been seriously tested in court yet,
my fervent hope as a list manager has been NOT to be that test case.

This may not be that test case, either, but I feel that eventually there
WILL be such a test case, and not to sound too alarmist, but I see this
as one of the greatest challenges facing the future of the Internet.
--
Mike Nolan