Subject: Re: egroups mail problem - no Date field
From: Jeffrey Goldberg <J . Goldberg @ Cranfield . ac . uk>
Date: Thu, 6 May 1999 06:40:53 +0100 (BST)
To: Info-LabVIEW List Maintainer <info-labview-request @ fsm-1 . pica . army . mil>
Cc: John R Levine <johnl @ iecc . com>, list-managers @ greatcircle . com

On Wed, 5 May 1999, Info-LabVIEW List Maintainer wrote:

> John Levine:
> >> I can't tell from RFC822 if Date is a required field or not
> >> 'cause all that meta notation makes my eyes glaze over.
> >
> >According to RFC822, the date header is required, but I've never seen an
> >MTA that would reject a message for lacking a date.
>
> Oh, they're out there. Seemingly, a lot of them in Europe (don't ask how I
> came to that conclusion, it's just an observation).

exim, http://www.exim.org/ , has a feature for checking header syntax and
complience and optionally rejecting mail with malformed headers.  A couple
of years ago, one could catch a fair about of spam that way, without too
many false positives.  Then Outlook came along and spammers produced
better headers, so things reversed.  So while exim has these feature, I
don't think that anyone is using it on anything other than outgoing mail
now.  It is a feature which is off by default.

Also, I've seen that some versions of a VMS mailer MX will reject mail
with some malformed headers.

-j
--
Jeffrey Goldberg                +44 (0)1234 750 111 x 2826
 Cranfield Computer Centre      FAX         751 814