Subject: Re: Moderating and off-topic posts
From: John Stevenson <johnstev @ comcen . com . au>
Date: Mon, 3 May 1999 19:39:29 +1000
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

SRE wrote:

At 08:05 AM 5/3/99 +1200, Olwen Williams wrote:
>people like it as it is. One reason for moderating (apart from stopping flame
>wars) was that many people complained about the level of mail, and the
>off-topic posts.

Can you define "moderating"? Reading this thread, it seems that one who
tries to keep the posts on topic (by pressuring the poster) is sometimes
considered a moderator. I figure the list is not moderated if a post
makes it to the subscribers without human approval. Is that what you meant?

I think there are two forms of moderation. 'Active' moderation requires the list manager to approve every post that goes to the list, while 'passive' moderation involves the list manager stepping in to control or stop postings that breach list guidelines. The usual sanction for passive moderation is removal from the list of those who won't toe the line.

Other comments in this thread have dealt with tightly controlled lists. My own list is rather different. In an effort to create a [WARNING! ghastly 'Wired' buzzword imminent!] 'virtual community' I've allowed lots of discussion that's way off the list's central topic (Australian mountain biking, if anyone cares). Since my list deals with something that people do for fun, I have deliberately kept things informal, stepping in only to kill discussions that are both off topic and hugely irritating, such as Mac Vs PC flamefests and passings-on of virus warnings.

My main moderation technique when such is needed is a friendly but firm email, off the list, to the problem subscriber, followed by delisting if they don't get a clue. I'm sure I'm not the only list mangler who has found that dealing with list 'discipline' on-list is a recipe for disaster.

John Stevenson -- johnstev @
comcen .
com .
au