Subject: Re: owner- alias becomes a problem
From: Daniel Reed <djr @ narnia . n . ml . org>
Date: Sat, 5 Sep 1998 01:25:46 -0400 (EDT)
To: Todd Vierling <tv @ pobox . com>
Cc: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

On Sat, 29 Aug 1998, Todd Vierling wrote:
) On Fri, 28 Aug 1998, David W. Tamkin wrote:
) : You see, under sendmail-8.9.0 and SunOS 5.6, when a subscriber submits to the
) : list and the article is *successfully* delivered to the submission alias,
) : sendmail clobbers the original envelope sender on the UNIX From_ line with
) : the address to which owner-listname expands (or with owner-listname itself
) : if it expands to a pipe).
) Are you sure this isn't the mailing list manager at work?  Typically _they_
) change the envelope sender such that bounces won't loop.
Both of them typically do. I know I had the exact same problem a while
back--sendmail will (as far as I can tell) drop the From: message header
if the From: address exactly matches the envelope sender address.
Typically this didn't matter because before final delivery the From:
message header would be recreated. However, I was having problems with one
of the mailing lists I was running where the From: field was getting
dropped, and then sendmail munged the return path address--so the original
sender's address was lost for eternity. I had to remove the owner-LISTNAME
aliases in /etc/aliases to prevent sendmail from putzing with the return
path address (sendmail does that to support :include: file-based lists,
where no posting processor is used), then modified Majordomo's source to
re-add a missing From: header based on the original return path address.

--
Daniel Reed <n @
 ml .