Subject: Re: Delayed Messages (Was: Re: "spamgard". sheesh.)
From: Mitch Collinsworth <mkc @ graphics . cornell . edu>
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 97 07:39:35 -0500
To: Gillam Kerley <gkerley @ execpc . com>
Cc: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM, mkc @ graphics . cornell . edu

>What's important is not what he wrote but when he wrote it and when I
>received it.
>
>This post was dated 12/16, and I just received it (and another
>list-managers post by Dave Wolfe on the same thread) in the wee hours of
>12/23.  Other lists I subscribe to (and there are now more than a dozen)
>get messages to my mailbox within a few minutes to a few hours.
>
>Can anyone explain why the *list-managers* list, of all lists, does
>this?  Is it doing this to everyone, or just to me?  (After all, just
>because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get me.)  ;-)

Yes, I've been seeing the same thing for a few weeks now.  Very odd.

>Shouldn't the list-managers list, having access to the sum total of all
>of the list-management talent out there in cyberland, be the list
>*least* likely to do strange things like this?

No, why should it?  It's only managed by one list-manager, just like
any other list, one presumably as human as the rest of us.  What we
might perhaps expect to be different about list-managers is to have
the most well-clued subscribers who are least likely to jump to
faulty assumptions or panic when something does go wrong.  And less
instances of "uns*bscribe me" posted to the list.  :-)

Not to suggest you were panicing or jumping to faulty assumptions,
just responding to your expectation of perfection for this list's
management.

Yours is the first mention I've seen of the problem, so the
list-managers list manager may well have been unaware of it until
now.  (Yes, I noticed it a few weeks ago and said nothing.  Sorry,
been busy and expected someone else would have mentioned it sooner.
I suppose that makes me guilty of expecting more perfection on the
part of this list's subscribers!  Guess I'm not the only busy one
around here.)  What seems peculiar is that the delayed messages
always seem to come out in bunches.  I.e. nothing for a few days and
then several all at once.  And they're anywhere from a few days to a
weeks old.  Hope that's enough clues for the list-managers list
manager to track it down.

-Mitch

--
                     "Families can't trust Disney"