From: Dave Bigham <dbigham @ cantec . com>
Date: Thu, 25 Dec 1997 01:52:55 -0500
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . com

It looks to me like the anti-spammers have finally gotten to the position so
many other zealots have arrived at.  The end justifies the means.

It goes something like this.  Spam is evil.  Evil must be eradicated.  The
eradication of evil is paramount to anything else.  The eradication if Spam
must be accomplished no matter who gets hurt or whose principles are violated.

This is ridiculous.  We (myself included) rail against spammers and call
them all kinds of different lowlife.  Then some feel it is perfectly OK to
commit acts which at their heart are no different than those the spammers
are using.

Ron, you're wrong, plain and simple.  If you want to fight Spam, do it in
the legislature, the courts, and the Internet community using vocal
pressure.  Don't stoop to their level, as you appear to be doing.  You can
try to rationalize it any way you want to, the fact remains you are pro
actively reaching out to inflict pain on someone else for doing something
with which you disagree.  In reaching that point, you too, in my opinion,
become lowlife.

Dave Bigham
Cantec Communications
dbigham @
 cantec .
 com

At 12:25 PM 12/24/97 -0800, you wrote:

>I and a number of other anti-spam advocates are now in the process of
>seriously considering the implementation of a new and potentially
>powerful tactic in our ongoing efforts to thwart E-mail spam and
>E-mail spammers.

Follow-Ups:
Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Directed attacks on mailing lists (?)