Subject: Re: policy issue on Bcc: of list..
From: Daniel Reed <djr @ narnia . n . ml . org>
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 1997 10:01:41 -0500 (EST)
To: Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @ plaidworks . com>
Cc: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

On Fri, 12 Dec 1997, Chuq Von Rospach wrote:
) I'm curious what people think of this, since it came up in conversation today.
)
) If someone Bcc:s a mailing list, it's not at all obvious to many users
) 9and in some mail clients, impossible to find out) where the mail came
) from. And thinking about it, it's arguable whether it's "okay" to allow
) Bcc to a mail list. I see lots of opportunity for confusion,
) misdirection, and minor shenanigans.
)
) So, would it be reasonable for mail list software to coerce a Bcc: of a
) list to a CC: in the header? At least then it'd be listed in the mail
) headers where a user will see it. I don't see any real negatives to it,
) but perhaps I'm missing something.
It's munging the headers already given. Mailing list managers like
LISTSERV (I believe; the one BUGTRAQ runs on) simply discards all of the
To: and Cc: fields and adds a To: LISTNAME @
 LISTHOST .
 TLD field. It also
keeps copies of the original To: and Cc: fields in X-To: and X-Cc:, I
believe.
However, adding the list's name to the headers could pose other problems.
What if, such as in my case, the list server host is lists.n.ml.org, yet
all mailing lists are encouraged to use listname @
 narnia .
 mhv .
 net to