From: jonathon <grafolog @ netcom . com>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 1997 16:56:28 +0000 (GMT)
To: Barbara McMullen <bmcmullen @ zebra . net>
Cc: List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM

On Fri, 12 Dec 1997, Barbara McMullen wrote:

> I think anything posted with proper credit is fine, so long as the
> author is noted.

	IANAL, but I have a distinct recollection that Microsoft couldn't
	use the music they wanted to use to introduce Win95, because the
	copyright owner didn't like micky mouse software.

	If you think redistributing material that is available free, does
	not carry consequences, ask some of the newspapers that published
	_This Is True_ , without getting permission to do so << and also
	paying the nominal royalties.  This was before their was a
	permium edition  of _This Is True_.  >>

> paper. You are not selling her work, just mailing it to people.

	Still a copyright violation.   The owner may not want the
	material to be redistributed.  And under European Law, the
	original creators wishes _can_ and usually do prevail.  Under
	US Law, the owner's wishes usually prevail.

          xan

          jonathon
          grafolog @
 netcom .