From: Gerald Oskoboiny <gerald @ mail . impressive . net>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 1997 12:50:35 -0500 (EST)
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

On Fri, 12 Dec 1997, murr rhame wrote:

> On Sun, 7 Dec 1997, Gary Frederick wrote:
>
> > The policy on this list is that anything you post, while remaining
> > you property, may be reposted elsewhere.
>
> I doubt that a listowner can give away a subscriber's copyright with a
> notice like the one listed above.  Both parties must agree to the
> terms of a contract for the contract to be valid.

What if one of the conditions of use of a mailing list is that the
subscriber agrees to have everything they send to the list made
available in a publicly-accessible archive forever?

(This is a slightly different topic than the one being discussed,
but they're related.)

My (non-legal) opinion is that by posting to the list, a subscriber
is indicating their consent with the list's rules (which may include
a policy on public archives), therefore forfeiting some of their
regular copyright rights.

I would be very interested to hear of any legal precedents in this
area.

Gerald
--
Gerald Oskoboiny