Subject: policy issue on Bcc: of list..
From: Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @ plaidworks . com>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 1997 20:54:06 -0800
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

I'm curious what people think of this, since it came up in conversation today.

If someone Bcc:s a mailing list, it's not at all obvious to many users
9and in some mail clients, impossible to find out) where the mail came
from. And thinking about it, it's arguable whether it's "okay" to allow
Bcc to a mail list. I see lots of opportunity for confusion,
misdirection, and minor shenanigans.

So, would it be reasonable for mail list software to coerce a Bcc: of a
list to a CC: in the header? At least then it'd be listed in the mail
headers where a user will see it. I don't see any real negatives to it,
but perhaps I'm missing something.

Thoughts?

--
         Chuq Von Rospach (chuq @