Subject: Re: Clueless subscribers?
From: jonathon <grafolog @ netcom . com>
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 1997 06:59:11 +0000 (GMT)
To: Mitch Collinsworth <mkc @ Graphics . Cornell . EDU>
Cc: List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM

On Thu, 4 Dec 1997, Mitch Collinsworth wrote:

> biggest problem I see with inventing yet more new list management
> interfaces is that users who experience them at one site then
> expect to find them at other sites.

	How about support for alternative unsubscribe mechanisms,
	but not have them advertized?

	IE:  listname-off @
 somewhere .
 com will unsubscribe you,
	but only make publically known listname-request @
 somewhere .
 com .

	For various reasons, I suspect that those supported, even
	if only unoffically, and never publicized means, will be used
	as much, or more than the publically advertized and supported
	ones.

	Also having something that checks for the various creative ways
	of misspelling unsubscribe, would probably help as well.  Though
	with those, a confirmation message should probably be sent.

          xan

          jonathon
          grafolog @
 netcom .