Subject: Re: Uns*b mechanisms (was: Clueless subscribers?)
From: Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @ plaidworks . com>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 1997 18:53:11 -0800
To: delundel @ netguide . com, List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM

At 12:03 PM -0800 12/3/97, David Lundell wrote:

> I am now convinced that the most intuitive method for uns*bscribing is
> to reply to the last newsletter received.

For some lists, maybe, but it has serious gotchas. Like people who
aren't paying close attention and want to send you feedback. Bang,
they're off. Or people who go away, turn on an autoresponder without
thinking. Bang, they're gone (maybe you don't MIND that).

> Although I like the idea of
> having a special address, as below, people will inevitably reply, so
> that's the way I want to go.

My preference, frankly, is that the reply address be a "comments about
the list" address, not an unsub address. But then I'd put a mailbot on
that address that (a) confirms receipt, and (b) reminds users that if
they're trying to get off the list, to use the following directions --
that this is NOT the unsub address.

Make sure those instructions are near the top of your postings, also.
And since the mailbot answers for you, you can ignore any misdirected
requests (a nice thing about boilerplate mailbots, is it gives you a
nice way to avoid getting into protracted arguments -- you're no longer
under obligation to respond or confirm receipt, because the mailbot did
it, so you get away from a lot fo the "don't send me the damn
instructions, just do it" stuff)

And that's basically my policy, although if I get mail from users that
are either seriously honked, frustrated or lost, I take care of them.
But if it's clear they're just mailing to the wrong address and haven't
followed directions, I nudge them where they ought to go. I just try to
avoid being pedantic. If a person's drowning, you throw them a
floatation device, not instructions on how to swim...

--
         Chuq Von Rospach (chuq @
 apple .

 Plaidworks Consulting (chuqui @