Subject: Re: Clueless subscribers?
From: Vince Sabio <vince @ humournet . com>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 1997 22:29:50 -0500
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM (lm)

** Sometime around 18:59 -0500 12/3/97, Lazlo Nibble sent everyone:

>> >It's not a new method - I've seen it used successfully by a number of lists
>> >(I'm on a few lists, one of which has been using it for more than a couple
>> >years).
>>
>> My apologies then.  I guess "new" is relative.  Am I the only net fossil
>> who's not run into before?
>
>No.  I've never seen it, and I'm on several dozen lists.

I've seen it. I think that it's probably on more lists than you realize
-- but since we are already "trained" on sending "unsubscribe <listname>"
to "<server-address>@domain.name", we rarely notice "alternate" methods
of, um, getting ourselves off.

*IF* we even read those parts of the Welcome messages, that is. ;-)

BTW, this is also standard on the Lyris list server, which has been out
for about a year(?) now. Or so. <http://www.lyris.com/>

Vince Sabio            Boy & His Sabre: <http://www.insane.net/TSC/Vince/>
vince @
 humournet .
 com            Stop Internet Spam! <http://www.cauce.org/>

Behind every successful man               Behind every successful man is a
is a surprised woman                            woman with expensive taste
-- Maryon Pearson                                           -- Vince Sabio