Subject: Re: Clueless subscribers?
From: claire @ siberia . demon . co . uk (Claire McNab)
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 1997 18:23:36 +0000 (GMT)
To: List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM

On  3 Dec 97 at 12:45, Mitch Collinsworth puddy cat purred:

> >the
> >variety of uns*bscribe mechanisms on difft lists really confuses folks,
> >so I'm setting up mechanisms to allow ppl to mail to
> >"listname-off @
 server" to uns*b.   People can understand that.

> Oh great.  There are too many different uns*b mechanisms out there and
> people are getting being confused by it, so your solution is to invent
> yet another one.  Yah, I follow that logic.  (not)

Point taken :)   But I don't think you're right, prob cos I didn't
explain myself very well:

1/ the listname-off idea is not a new invention -- there's software
   that does it already.  I reckon its the best of the existing crop,
   and I'm just hacking our setup to support it.

2/ All it needs by way of instructions is "To leave the list, send any
   mail to listname-off @
 server".  The minimal accurate instruction for
   the conventioonal command sybtax takes a paragraph to explain, and
   generally an example too.

3/ The listname-off @
 server address can be implemented as a URL in a
   webpage -- one click and you're done -- or in the modern MUAs that
   allow clickable URLs -- and in mailers such as Pegasus it can even
   be incoporated into the headers.
   Pegasus recognises List-Subscribe: and List-Unsubscribe headers, and
   offers a clickable, menu-driven, easily understood way of leaving
   the list.  It's very neat, and it's not only Pegasus that
   supports it. I don't generally like non-standards, but because
   this one is buried in the headers, it's invisible to anyone whose
   mailer MUA doesn't support it, so it seems reasonably harmless.

Best wishes,
Claire

--
Claire McNab -- Claire @