Subject: RE: Clueless subscribers?
From: Marc Mead <mmead @ revnet . com>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 1997 15:35:33 -0600
To: "'jonathon'" <grafolog @ netcom . com>, "List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM" <List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM>

On Wednesday, November 26, 1997 11:38 PM, jonathon
[SMTP:grafolog @
 netcom .
 com] wrote:

> 	I discovered yesterday that I was the first person to be
> 	able to successfully unzubscribe from a mailing list, without
> 	having to get the list-owner's help.   << It appears that
> 	people don't know how to send a confirmation message. >>

An alternative solution to this perennial problem is to move on to newer
mail list management technology.  There are many web-enabled listservers on
the market now, including my company's GroupMaster.

Each outgoing message can have a URL in the footer that allows for
*instant* unsubscribe---no typing, no replying, no sending---just use that
handy mouse to click your way off a list via the browser (traditional
methods are also supported).  Yes, most die-hards still don't use a browser
and email in tandem, and yes, many die-hards use text based clients that
don't support 'hot' URLs.

However, these experienced users (like you & I) usually find their way off
any list type---it's the AOLers and newbies that screw up.  So, follow this
logic:

1.  Newbies are comfortable with simple GUIs & clicking mice.
2.  Give them a way to manage their list subscriptions with a GUI (web in
GroupMaster's case)
3.  They cease to screw up their subscriptions.
4.  They quit bugging & cursing you.
5.  Your blood pressure decreases, your free time increases.

Just an alternative to consider,
Marc Mead
http://www.groupmaster.com

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: List-Managers-Digest V6 #234