Subject: Clueless subscribers?
From: jonathon <grafolog @ netcom . com>
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 1997 05:37:39 +0000 (GMT)
To: List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM

	All:

	I discovered yesterday that I was the first person to be
	able to successfully unzubscribe from a mailing list, without
	having to get the list-owner's help.   << It appears that
	people don't know how to send a confirmation message. >>

	In the last five weeks, I've helped launch five mailing lists,
	that cover similar topics to that list, and for every individual
	that has successfully
	zubscribed to one of those lists, I've had 50 complain that they
	can't zubscribe to these lists becuase the zubscribe mechanism
	doesn't work.  << Again, it appears that people don't know
	how to either send an original message to the right address,
	or a confirmation message, when one is requested.  >>

	A semi-typical example, is the person who tried to set
	herself to NOMAIL.  She knows the listname is list-l, but
	sends a message to "set nomail list-1."  And then complains
	because it doesn't set list-l to nomail, but generates an
	error message.

	Is this degree of cluelessness something that _might_ be
	specific to the lists I run, or is it a general phenomena?

	If it is the latter, what action are other list-owners taking,
	to combat it?   << Other than using them as fodder for
	HumourNet. >>

          xan

          jonathon
          grafolog @
 netcom .
 com

	I accidentally wrote "will hack Python for food" in my
	cover letter.

	The company decided that was enough of a recommendation to
	hire me as their sole SysAdmin.