Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(August 1997)

Subject: Searching through mail archives and fighting spam...
From: Jeroen Schipper <Jeroen . Schipper @ let . ruu . nl>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 1997 12:16:03 +0200 (MET DST)

Dear mailinglist managers,

I have the following problem: I run a medium sized mailinglist and
keep a backlog of digests and an HTML version of the list on a website.
This is fine for reading discussions etc.

But I get requests from people who want to search the archives. When I
setup the archive I created a robots.txt to prevent the archive to be
indexed by webcrawlers, like AltaVista or HotBot. Why? Because I don't
want those discussions indexed and have the e-mail addresses of all
subscribers (who posted something)  floating on the Net so they can get
spammed! Just for posting something to my mailinglist.

I hate spam. I get about 20 spam messages in a weekend and I hate it.

My questions to you: has anyone else faced such a situation? What to do?
There are several options:

- Don't make it searchable

- Create a local search engine using some freeware tool (suggestions?). I
don't really like the idea of huge indexes however.

- Allow one site only to index the pages. But which one? Is there a search
engine on the web that has special policies against spam?

I'm very happy that the amount of spam on my mailinglist is very low and I
want to keep it that way.

Jeroen

--
:: Jeroen .
 Schipper @

Indexed By Date Previous: Problems with mail to/from Netcom.CA ?