Subject: Re: FindMail.Com?
From: "Lazlo Nibble" <lazlo @ swcp . com>
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 1996 23:52:41 -0700 (MST)
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com (lm)

>> Brewster Kahle (sp?) of archive.org has suggested a header line that
>> basically says "Do Not Archive This List."
>
> I like this idea.  It seems logical to me... if you open your list to
> public subscription, then that means the content is fair game unless
> otherwise stated.

Anyone who stands behind this dubious legal theory should demonstrate their
support for it by downloading the contents of a big, high-profile domain
(pathfinder.com for example) and start serving it from their own domain
without the original content provider's permission.

Just because something is publicly available for free doesn't mean anyone can
start making and distributing copies on their own.  Content has to be
explicitly placed into the public domain for that behavior to be legal, and
making something available over the net for free does *not* place it into the
public domain.

--
::: Lazlo (lazlo @
 swcp .

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: AOL DNS troubles?