Subject: Re: FindMail.Com?
From: jonathon <grafolog @ netcom . com>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 1996 06:59:59 +0000 (GMT)
To: rasmus @ lerdorf . on . ca
Cc: Michelle Dick <artemis @ rahul . net>, list-managers @ greatcircle . com

On Wed, 18 Dec 1996 rasmus @
 lerdorf .
 on .
 ca wrote:

	<<  Michelle Dick wrote the first paragraph >>
> > Oh, and just like any other subscriber, they must monitor the list for
> > changes in terms and conditions of use.

> These conditions, and especially that last one would make it administratively
> impossible to archive mailing lists on a large scale.  You cannot possibly
> expect a human to read every single message of every single mailing list in

	Monitor the list does not mean read each and every message.

	Set it up so that it goes through procmail.
	filter for words like "policy", "announcement", "changes"
	etc, and seperate those from the rest of the list.  Read
	those messages.  Really good procmail users could write a filter
	that scores e-mail, on the basis of how likely it is to be
	a major, or minor policy statement.

	I'll also point out that I know of at least one listowner who
	doesn't read any posts made to the mailing list s/he runs.
	But let the hint of a flame fest come up, and the flamers
	are warned.

        xan

        jonathon
        grafolog @
 netcom .
 com

	#1/usr/bin/perl -w015l12pi.bak

	& that is supposed to be readable code in a language designed
	for clear reading?????