Subject: Re: Archiving
From: "E. Allen Smith" <EALLENSMITH @ mbcl . rutgers . edu>
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 1996 19:42 EDT
To: sbarber @ echonyc . com
Cc: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

From:	IN%"sbarber @
 echonyc .
 com"  "Steve Barber" 14-DEC-1996 09:11:52.12

>So far, unless I've missed something big, he's stated over and over
>again, and very publicly, that the archives he's putting together are
>reserved for historical and scholarly purposes.

	Umm... this is the stated purpose... but so long as it's openly
available on the net, it is effectively available for other purposes
than these. The feds won't let you get away with just a warning label vs
non-US-citizens for cryptography programs on the net (unfortunately); I
would think the same principle would apply here.
	There's also the point about a mailing list that charges,
directly or indirectly (e.g., for their own archive's use or via ads on
the list or on their own archive). Scholarly use doesn't include
sufficient use to be able to completely remove commercial value, unless
I completely misunderstand copyright law. Please inform me if so...
there's a lot of material (chiefly programs) that I'd have free access
to if that was the case.
	-Allen

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: What is the real point of a list archive?