From: James Cook <jcook @ netcom . com>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 1996 11:06:33 -0800 (PST)
To: Michelle Dick <artemis @ rahul . net>
Cc: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

On Tue, 10 Dec 1996, Michelle Dick wrote:

> When we sell a T1 link to a customer, we consider that they have
> bought that much capacity *through* us as well.  If they want to use
> it all, we will make sure we can provide it (unlike most of your
> newer ISPs).
>
> Bottom line: smarthosts offer substantial savings and performance
> improvement in many cases.  And this is why many of us use them.  And
> why most MTAs have features to switch on/off the use of smarthosts.

What is a smarthost?

How do "smarthosts" vary, if at all, from ISP to ISP?

Is anyone aware of a website or other reference which offers a
layperson's overview of this stuff?

Does an organization like Rahul.net impose *any* limits on usage of their
"smarthost" services to those with 56k frame relay or T1 line customers?

James Cook