Subject: Re: How to prevent mail-loops with majordomo?
From: Rudy Amid <rudy @ hcl . com>
Date: Sat, 7 Dec 1996 23:01:14 -0500 ()
To: David Rodbard <DRODBARD @ aamc . org>
Cc: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

With majordomo I think it's possible to do this, but you have to know how to
modify the wrapper to be able to detect mail loops by searching the body of the
text, From: header, etc.

This can be easily with procmail.  A lot of opeople are using Smartlist because
of this.  It would be nice if there are a lot of alternatives.

---
    Rudy Amid (rudy @
 hcl .
 com), Systems "I'm IT!" Administrator         NB: IMHO!
"   Canada. M2H 2W1. 416-496-2200 Fax 496-2207 [URL] http://www.hcl.com     |
PGP key fingerprint is on my home page at http://www.warped.com/~radix     \_)

On Thu, 5 Dec 1996, David Rodbard wrote:

> I would very much appreciate advice re: how to protect against mail-loops when
> using majordomo in the "reply to list" mode? (A number of our list owners and
> subscribers prefer the "Reply to List" option to the "Reply to Sender Only"
> option).
> Is there a way to automatically detect and abort a mail-loop in the absence of
> list-owner or operator intervention (e.g. at night and on weekends)?
> Thanks.

Indexed By Date Previous: Bogus sub attempts