From: Cindy Stanley <connect @ ecentral . com>
Date: Fri, 06 Dec 1996 13:24:03 -0700
To: Vince Sabio <wavelet @ colossus . arl . mil>
Cc: List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM

** Sometime around 06:14 12/6/96, Cindy Stanley said:

> >I've heard some of you mention that you run mailing lists with *thousands* of
> >subscribers.  What kinds of lists are these that would attract such a huge
> >subscribership?  How long have they been up and running?

Vince Sabio answered:

> HumourNet (11,000 direct distribution subscribers, roughly 30-40,000 on
> secondary distribution to BBSs, other mailings lists that redistribute
> HumourNet mailings, and the like) has technically been around for just
> over two years. However, for its first 8 months of life, it was a small
> private list, and "went public" (stock offerings?) in July 1995 with 65
> (or so) members.

Went public?  Sorry for sounding so ignorant, but how do you "go public" with a
mailing list?

> BTW, when I first went public with HumourNet, I listed it in the List
> of Publicly-Accessible Mailing Lists (PAML); this was responsible for
> a big boost in our subscribership early on.
> <http://www.neosoft.com/internet/paml/>

Thanks.  This is good info to know. :-)

What are the drawbacks of listing a mailing list with PAML?  The only one I can
think of would be the extra junk-mail advertising.  My mailing list deals with
homeschooling discussions and I get quite a few unsolicited "buy our wonderful
curriculum" advertisments as it is.  Enough for me to have recently closed the UL
(Unschooling List) to subscribers only.

Cindy
UL Mom
connect @
 ecentral .
 com

There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged
to find the ways in which you yourself have altered.
- Nelson Mandela