Subject: Re: "Re[6]: subject"
From: Paul Graham <pjg @ urth . acsu . buffalo . edu>
Date: Wed, 04 Dec 1996 09:26:32 -0500
To: Vicki Richman <vicric @ panix . com>
Cc: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

the client i use sorts subjects by discarding ^Re: so schemes that do
other things (Re[N], [Foo] Re: etc.) break my sorting.  i suppose i can
undo this damage in a filtering rule but it does seem more polite to avoid
breaking things that have been working for some time.  this does seem to
be standard operating procedure for wintel programmers though.

Therefore, I still prefer that the identifying string always
be the first word of the subject. Far from confusing a mail
client, I believe that would make sorting more efficient.
--
 paul
     pjg @