Subject: Re: "Re[6]: subject"
From: Nick Perry <nick @ aboard . co . uk>
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 1996 01:04:06 +0000 (GMT)
To: junkyard @ primate . wisc . edu (Software Development)
Cc: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

Software Development wrote:
> > >Isn't there an RFC that states "thou shalt not change 'Re:' to anything else"?
>
> Is there?  What is it, I'd like to read it.  I run a list for which I
> rewrite the Subject: header to put "[PT]" at the front of the subject
> so that list traffic can be easily identified by subscribers.  Of course
> that means replies and replies to replies could end up generating ugly
> junk like this:

IIRC I don't think this is mentioned in any RFC but it is common practice
among email clients to tread and sort subjects based on removing any initial
Re:  thus you should avoid inserting anything *before* the Re: because many
clients will not associate such articles with the original... If they didn't
behave this way, clients may try to take subject lines such as
  Foo Bar (was Re: Fishing)
and tread / sort them with the subject Fishing (actually that is arguably
desirable!).

Thus...

 [My List] Foo Bar
 Re: [My List] Foo Bar

would be sorted together on most respectable client but

 [My List] Foo Bar
 [My List] Re: Foo Bar

clearly wouldn't!

Nick

--
Nick Perry                 | AboarD Boats & Yachts Market Ltd
Webmaster Manager          | 7a Fernshaw Road, LONDON, SW10 0TB. UK