Subject: Re: Lyris
From: Mike Nolan <nolan @ celery . tssi . com>
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 1996 17:03:52 -0600 (CST)
To: ERIC @ VM . SE . LSOFT . COM (Eric Thomas)
Cc: mgg @ sol . tins . net, jbuckman @ shelby . com, rogerk @ QueerNet . ORG, list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

> >If  every user  gets exactly  the same  message, the  task of  analyzing
> >bounced messages is a difficult one, as you need to write a parser which
> >is savvy to all the different mail systems out there, since there are so
> >many different kinds of error messages.
>
> Well, I don't think anyone on this forum ever claimed that writing a good
> list manager was  an easy task. If  it were easy, there would  be no room
> for commercial products :-)
>
> >But,  in almost  all  cases, bounced  mail includes  the  header of  the
> >bounced message in the error message.
>
> Or rather, whatever the bouncing MTA  calls a "header". For many systems,
> this is actually what is left of the header after converting to the local
> proprietary  mail system.  This  may  not include  much  more than  date,
> origin, recipient and subject.

A feature I've always wanted to see in a MLM is some intelligence as to when
to delve deeper on bounces.  For example, if 'foo.com' is sending back
bounced mail that can't be traced back to a particular list subscriber, then
on the next message send out unique messages to everybody in that domain to
see if that helps narrow the possibilities down somewhat.

I do something like this manually every few months.  I have a shell script
that goes through my mailing lists and sends a test message to everybody,
with the exact address that I'm sending to in the Subject header and in the
body.  99% of the time I get back a bounce that lets me find bad addresses
even if the MTA at the other end isn't very cooperative in its bounce
message.  On a few occasions, I've had to go into the sendmail logs to see
what message ID went to what address.  It also gives me a check on
bad addresses at sites that refuse to follow the standards and send their
bounces back to the author rather than to the envelope address.  I could
see this being a 'feature' that is invoked every X messages or time interval.
--
Mike Nolan