Subject: Re: Lyris
From: Mark Galbraith <mgg @ sol . tins . net>
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 1996 10:18:14 -0800 (PST)
To: jbuckman @ shelby . com
Cc: rogerk @ QueerNet . ORG, list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

 shelby .
 com> writes:

>> Unfortunately, this is a gratuitous rewriting of the original
>> poster's message.  If I address mail to foo @
 somewhere .
 com, I
>> expect messages to arrive at the user saying that.  If you wish
>> to do address detection, put it in a user-defined header.

John> The main reason we rewrite the To: is that people often have
John> multiple email addresses, with forwarding instructions so that email
John> goes to different places it was originally sent.  In such a case, the
John> recipient of list-generated email message doesn't know what email
John> address is registered at the list server.

Can't the savvy user just look through the 'Received' headers to find
the lines that contain the "for" value.  That's where I would look for
the address the delivery was to.

The To: header should reflect the list address.  This makes it work the
same as all the other major list software out there, and makes the job
of filtering much easier.  If you need to add the delivery address in a
header, put it in a user-defined header.

And anyway, why would your program generate 10,000 different messages
for 10,000 subscribers?  Wouldn't it be more efficient to group
deliveries of multiple addressees at the same location?  This would cut
down on network traffic and workload on your system.

--
Mark Galbraith                   Member of The HTML Writers Guild
Engineer, Internet Services	              http://www.hwg.org/