Subject: Re: Turning off EXPN (and VRFY) for Majordomo security concern
From: Kjetil Torgrim Homme <kjetilho @ ifi . uio . no>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 1996 22:23:23 +0200
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

[Chip Rosenthal]

|   Why are people so concerned about VRFY?
|
|   I think it really really sucks when I try to see if a site has an
|   <abuse> address, and VRFY has been disabled.

Yeah, and AOL has even turned off verification of RCPT-TO. It really
sucks, because it means I get a separate error report from AOL. Most
other sites report the error at once, and my local sendmail can then
give me one short, precise (well, sort of) report per message sent to
my mailing list.

(Hopefully Brad Knowles listens :-)

Kjetil T.