Subject: Re: spam list exists -- stop the spam alerts!!
From: Mike Nolan <nolan @ celery . tssi . com>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 1996 13:31:58 -0500 (CDT)
To: nolan @ celery . tssi . com (Mike Nolan)
Cc: List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM

> Well I certainly will join the consensus on this one. I own 3 lists, and
> have yet to have one spam attack (although I've been spammed PLENTY on my
> personal addresses). If you need to deal with spam, join the spam list.

Michelle, you've been very lucky then.  I also run several lists, and I've
had at least two dozen spam attacks in the past two years, of which about
10 succeeded.  (I've put in several anti-spam measures as a result of those
successful attacks.)

> P.S. maybe it's time for a periodic posting, including the basic policies
> of the list, and useful URLs and addresses for FAQs and related lists.

On this I heartily concur, and although anti-spam policies in general IMHO
should continue to be a subject of discussion on this list, queries about
possible spam attacks or notifications of the same probably belong elsewhere,
as do other specialized topics.

For example, my biggest lists (with over 1000 subscribers and handling dozens
of messages a day) deal with collegiate sports, and I've considered setting
up a separate list to deal with issues that are somewhat unique to the
subject, such as how to deal with logos and licensing restrictions, and
relating to the media and the folks at collegiate athletic departments.

Interesting subjects to us, but probably not to most of the folks on the
list-managers list.

If anyone on this list is interested in joining such a list, drop me a note.
--
Mike Nolan
nolan @