Subject: Re: Turning off EXPN (and VRFY) for Majordomo security concern
From: Theo Van Dinter <felicity @ kluge . net>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 1996 13:40:53 -0400 (EDT)
To: Brock Rozen <brozen @ webdreams . com>
Cc: majordomo-users @ GreatCircle . COM, majordomo-workers @ GreatCircle . COM, list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

On Mon, 30 Sep 1996, Brock Rozen wrote:

> Does anybody know how I can turn EXPN (and VRFY) off on sendmail so that
> I don't run into security problems with majordomo? (Using EXPN on
> listname-outgoing to get the subscription list)

Add the following to the 'Op' line in sendmail.cf:

noexpn,novrfy

Mine looks like this:  "Opauthwarnings,needmailhelo,noexpn,novrfy"

Theo Van Dinter				 www: http://www.kluge.net/~felicity/
Vice-President WPI Lens and Lights	     Active Member in SocComm and ACM

                All work and no play, will make you a manager.