Subject: Re:spam list exists -- stop the spam alerts!!
From: David Lloyd-Jones <dlj @ pobox . com>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 1996 10:02:01 -0400 (EDT)
To: noise @ io . org
Cc: "Brian J. Murrell" <brian @ ilinx . ilinx . com>, List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM

I'm in favour.  Two reasons apart from the clutter:

1.) While there certainly is spam about, I think that a lot of these inept
prods into databases are just newbies finding their way around, and we want
the Net as friendly as possible to newbies -- particularly those with the
moxie to want to find their way around;

2.) I'm concerned about the possible slandering of the well-intentioned.  In
the case of Krazy Kevin we publicised his case, his name, and eventually
homed in on him to the point where one of the rabbis on Project Genesis (an
excellent Talmudic learning site, btw) phoned his mother.  This is well and
good, because the kid really was an energetic pain.  But the rule should be
measure for measure.  I don't think we should be publicising possibles,
particularly given the high possibility that they are just people finding
their way.

It might be nice, though, if somebody would post a standard letter that they
send to people: "Hi, I see you have been poking around on my list.  Here's
how it works..."
and eve nicer if there were macros for slinging out such letters automatically.

                            gCheers,

                               -dlj.

At 07:38 AM 30/09/96 -0500, noise @
 io .
 org wrote:
>At 3:05 PM on 9/29/96, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
>
>>OK.  Since there is a "spam list" can we officially ban the "spam alert"
>>postings to List-Managers??  Please??  I want to participate in a list
>>about running lists without all the spam alerts.  Spam alerts seem to have
>>overtaken the discussions on this fine (was and could be) list.
>>
>>Can we have a consensus??
>
>It's got my vote

>noise
>noise @
 io .
 org                   http://www.io.org/~noise/

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: no spam alerts