Subject: Re: Limit of 10 recipients? (fwd)
From: Stan Ryckman <stanr @ sunspot . tiac . net>
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 1996 00:07:17 -0400 (EDT)
To: bruceb @ fatcity . com (Bruce Bergman)
Cc: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

> -> Recently mail sent to IDT subscribers has started to bounce with
> -> the message "SORRY, TOO MANY RECIPIENTS (10 MAX)."
>
> -> Since I sent that message, we've started getting bounces saying
> -> that *20* is the maximum; I REALLY don't think this is the way to
> -> handle this, although I can't even be sure that this is
> -> intentional and not just a continuing misconfiguration at IDT: no
> -> one replied to my earlier message.
>
> And of course, you just KNOW that IDT would complain, bitch and moan
> about how everyone else is against them if we all started putting that
> in OUR mailers.
>
> Sigh.  Either someone in the admin at IDT is clueless, or IDT isn't
> interested in getting along with the rest of the net.community.

It's probably a well-intentioned effort to fend off spam, but
it's hard to pick the "right number".  Not only that, it won't
work because spammers will just package their mail into smaller
numbers of recipients as soon as they figure it out.

I agree:  sigh.

> Maybe someone should remind IDT that this kind of action is why the
> attacks on Panix started (and continue)...

I'd be interested in hearing what you mean by this (there must be
some history behind it), either on the list (if appropriate) or
in private email (if not appropriate for the list).

(I support ISPs' rights to reject spam, but they should be receptive
to cases which point out when their algorithm is defective with
respect to large, intentionally-subscribed-to, lists.)

Cheers,
Stan Ryckman (stanr @
 tiac .
 net)