Subject: Whether list command legitimate
From: Paul E Kayak <edit @ bluemarble . net>
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 1996 20:31:18 -0500 (EST)
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

Yet an inexperienced person, I have been reading List-Managers months.
The best technical comments, it seems to me, have been during
the spam debate.

I hope this topic does not disappear all at once.

In this area of problem, my understanding is, we have types  (#1)
junk-mail advertizing, and  (2) a vandalistic "litter" kind of material.
(Am uncertain about all this and hoping for comment.)

A major reason for problem is the following:
The perpetrators tend to have made themselves unreachable.  A
significant amount of my accounts (if I am now manager, not
apprentice) are not active or valid.  Mail for them I normally bounce to
sender.  But in the case of this authorless spam, it winds up in my lap.
Oh, I'll look a mess!

Some of us have lists which are sensitive.  Many are concerned about
having a reasonable amount of privacy in these times.

		   	   - Signed, Paul.
			   Spam may not be just a matter of bad taste.
			   Say for a vegetarian.

			   We used to give sheep their medicine, by
			   prying their mouths open.

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Quick anti-spam thought?