Subject: Re: interramp harbouring spammers
From: Robert Glover <robg @ f-body . org>
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 1996 22:50:45 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

On Sun, 22 Sep 1996, Beth Binde wrote:

> Hmm, I got hit by them 4 times today -- but as system administrator of
> a rather large UNIX cluster, I sometimes think we have an irresistible
> attraction for spammers.  With more than 32,000 users, it would take
> them more than 48 hours of round the clock activity at 500+ messages
> an hour (!!!) to get their *IMPORTANT* messages to the user population
> here.  :-)

What I find interesting is that about a month after I took over the list I
now run (about 550 total members), I started using restrict_post because
we were getting 3-4 of the magazine spams a week, and it was really
getting annoying.  Since that time, I have only gotten one magazine spam
(since all non-member posts bounce to the list-owner).  It's almost as if
the spammer was on the list.

Things that make you go 'hmmm...'

Rob