Subject: Re: interramp harbouring spammers
From: "Beth Binde" <binde @ nbcs . rutgers . edu>
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 1996 01:06:32 -0400
To: "Brian J. Murrell" <brian @ ilinx . ilinx . com>, list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

On Sep 21, 11:16, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> Subject: interramp harbouring spammers
> Is it just me or is there an inordinate number of spammers coming from
> interramp.com??  I have received so much spam from them lately, it's like
> they (Interramp) don't care about it.
>
> Anybody getting the same feeling, or is it just an evil plot against me??
> :-)

Hmm, I got hit by them 4 times today -- but as system administrator of
a rather large UNIX cluster, I sometimes think we have an irresistible
attraction for spammers.  With more than 32,000 users, it would take
them more than 48 hours of round the clock activity at 500+ messages
an hour (!!!) to get their *IMPORTANT* messages to the user population
here.  :-)

The part that makes me nauseous is the amount of disk space, network
bandwidth and machine cycles that they take doing it.  Also the time
that it takes me to write to various postmasters to try to get it to
stop.  I feel like the little Dutch boy with his finger in the dyke --
and the hole seems to be getting bigger...  :-(

--
Beth E. Binde, Systems Programmer, Instructional Computing Initiative
Rutgers University Computing Services, Piscataway, NJ 08855-0879 USA