Subject: Re: Smith-Barney's apology
From: bruceb @ fatcity . com (Bruce Bergman)
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 1996 19:09:07 GMT
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

-> |And maybe this is a "No, Monica, just you" question, but did anyone else feel
-> |that the spam really did come from Smith-Barney and that their "disgruntled
-> |ex-employee" story was just so much red-faced back-pedaling when they learned
-> |that they'd done something that was harming their image?

-> I might have, except that after I looked again when
-> I wasn't exhausted, the post was chock full of errors
-> of the type typically made by 3rd graders - or sloppy
-> hackers.

Likewise.  I originally assumed that someone DID have the audacity to
add my mailing lists (three of them, thank you) to the SMB list, but two
things made me suspicious: the spelling and the final disclaimer about
"don't bother to send mail asking to be removed -- we're not set up for
that; call xxx-xxx-xxx and ask for John Doe".  Sounded exactly like the
kind of thing you see when some AOL'er gets ahold of someone else's
account and wants to have them deluged...

FORTUNATELY, most everyone on my lists kept quiet -- the last thing I
needed was three or four thousand resends due to a "please remove". ;-)

Cheers,

bruce

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Smith-Barney's apology