Subject: Re: Smith-Barney's apology
From: dattier @ wwa . com (David W. Tamkin)
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 1996 14:45:39 -0500 (CDT)
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

Danny Lieberman reminded us, when a delayed question about the spam with
the Smith-Barney return address trickled in,

| It appears the whole thing was a hoax-spam, there is no mailing list
| at smb.com - they suspect a disgruntled employee and have apologized
| to most of the lists affected, at least those that wrote back.

Maybe I'm the only cynical one here, but when I read Smith-Barney's apology
my reaction was that it was the "kid brother" excuse: someone is caught dead
to rights posting something foul and inappropriate, and makes the excuse that
"my kid brother got into my account, and I'm SO SO sorry, and I've changed
all my passwords and it won't happen again."  This comes, of course, from
people with no kid brothers or none who live with them, just trying to weasel
out of responsibility for what they did.

And maybe this is a "No, Monica, just you" question, but did anyone else feel
that the spam really did come from Smith-Barney and that their "disgruntled
ex-employee" story was just so much red-faced back-pedaling when they learned
that they'd done something that was harming their image?

Follow-Ups:
Indexed By Date Previous: interramp harbouring spammers